With R U OK Day running on September 10th, we wanted to send a friendly reminder to all our members, parents, students and casual patrons about how important building your mental health is as your physical health. Living through a pandemic especially has played a major impact on our lives as we navigate through all these lifestyle changes.
Remember no matter how big or small your issues seem to be, your feelings are still important! Reach out to a friend or family member to let them know how you’re feeling, and vice versa. Use your 1 hour of walking to call up friends and family to check-in and see how they’re feeling.
R U OK Day may be our ‘national day of action when we remind Australians that every day is the day to ask, “Are you OK?” if someone in your world is struggling with life’s ups and downs but there’s more to say after R U OK! You don’t have to be an expert to keep the conversation going when someone says they’re not OK. By knowing what to say you can help someone feel supported and access appropriate help long before they’re in crisis, which can make a really positive difference in their life.’
Below is a list of Helplines you can reach out to:
- Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4638
- Ais to increase awareness of depression and anxiety and reduce stigma. 24 hours / 7 days a week.
- Butterfly Foundation’s National Helpline – 1800 650 890
- A free, confidential service that provides information, counselling and treatment referral for people with eating disorders, and body image and related issues. 8am – midnight AEST / 7 days a week.
- eHeadspace – 1800 650 890
- Provides mental health and wellbeing support, information and services to young people age 12 to 25 years and their families. 9am – 1am AEST / 7 days a week.
- Kids Helpline – 1800 55 1800
- A free, confidential and private counselling service specifically for children and young people aged 5 to 25. 24 hours. 7 days a week.
- Lifeline – 13 11 14
- Provides crisis counselling, support groups and suicide prevention services. 24 hours / 7 days a week.
- MensLine Australia – 1300 78 99 78
- A professional telephone support and information service for Australian men, 24 hours / 7 days a week.
- Suicide Callback service – 1300 659 467
- Support if you or someone you know is feeling suicidal. 24 hours / 7 days a week.